The UK slavegirl costume, seen from behind.
OK, so I cheated. I added a Hamburg one into the lot, and a restaged US tour one. The former because it’s in large constructed the same way as the UK ones, being a lot longer in the back and with a defined “butt tiara”. The restaged US tour one because they originally came from the UK.
1. Rachel Barrell, West End.
2. Unknown, US tour.
3. “Butt tiara” of West End costume from 1994-95.
4. Original UK tour (and heeelloooo wonderful crazy-wig).
5. Michelle van de Ven, hamburg.
6. Original UK tour (the princess is Josie Walker).
The Triangle Girl in detail:
1. Bonnie Fraser, Las Vegas, 2. The design, 3. Unknown, West End.
4. Michelle van de Ven, Hamburg, 5. The design (from when she was still “Tambourine Girl”), 6. Mona Botha, Singapore/World Tour.
7. Sara Jean Ford, USA, 8. The design, 9. Unknown, West End.
Christine in “Star Princess” ready to go on stage…ish.
1. Michelle van de Ven, Hamburg.
2. Rebecca Caine, Toronto.
3. Kristi Holden, Las Vegas.
4. Susan Owen, US tour.
5. Mia Karlsson, Copenhagen.
6. Elizabeth Welch, US tour (?).
7. Dodie Pettit, US tour.
8. Mia Karlsson, Copenhagen.
'Journey to the Cemetery/Wishing You Were Somehow Here Again'
24.08.2014, evening performance. My (roidumonde’s) master. Just listen to that “Help me say goodbye”!
Asked by Anonymous
I’ve been very impressed by Valerie Link of the little I’ve seen of her. A lovely voice, and an understated but defined portrayal
and she is so beautiful. You can see her Think of Me here:
I would totally give the current Hamburg production a chance. They have some very strong people in the cast (especially Christine, Raoul and Carlotta), and it’s one of the biggest POTO stages with very good sets and costumes. Mathias Edenborn has definitely gotten mixed reviews, but it’s more a case of love/hate than lackluster, it seems. Either you like his style or you don’t.
His alternate David Arnsperger does one of the Sunday performances, so if you really don’t want to see Edenborn you might see the alternate instead?
Tiny but lovely autograph cards from Hamburg:
Mathias Edenborn (Phantom), David Arnsperger (alt. Phantom), Valerie Link (Christine), Nicky Wuchinger (Raoul), Lauri Brons (alt. Christine), Michaela Christl (Madame Giry), Rachel Anne Moore (Carlotta), Theano Makariou (Meg Giry), Raymond Sepe (Piangi), Guido Gottenbos (André).
Das Phantom der Oper - 23.08.2014 Review
In the second act things got even better. Masquerade was full of colours, Michelle looked happy and carefree, and Nicky tried to cheer her by making funny faces all the time. When the Red Death appeared, Christine did not looked scared, more…
John Owen-Jones & Anna O’Byrne
David Arnsperger & Lauri Brons
Dmitri Ermak & Tamara Kotova
The Golden Mask Awards, Bolshoi Theatre, Moscow, 2014
Valerie Link, Mathias Edenborn & Nicky Wuchinger - Wishing You Were Somehow Here Again, Wandering Child and Bravo Monsieur
Hamburg; December 1, 2013