"Music of the Night" rehearsals:
1. Jonathan Roxmouth and Robin Botha, Cape Town.
2. Yoon Young Seok (?) and Hye Kyoung Lee (?), Seoul.
3. Elizabeth Welch and ?, USA.
4. Sarah Brightman and Michaen Crawford, Broadway.
5. Ian Jon Bourg, Stuttgart.
6. Katherine Buffaloe and Robert Guillaume, New York reh.
7. Anthony Warlow and Marina Prior, Melbourne.
8. Ian Jon Bourg and Janine Kitzen, Stuttgart.
9. Ethan Freeman and Claudia Dallinger, Vienna.
Broadway’s 4 Christine’s~ May 2014-September 2014
Sierra Boggess~ Principal
Mary Michael Patterson~ Alternate
Elizabeth Welch~ Understudy (Mirror Bride & Triangle Girl)
Susan Owen~ Understudy (Madame Firmin)
Asked by Anonymous
I can’t confirm this in any way, but I’ve heard that it’s more or less a principle of the POTO casting people/producer on Broadway and in the West End to not bump someone from understudy to principal/alternate. They might get cast in the lead if they quit the show and return after having done other roles (Sofia Escobar, Katie Hall), but they rarely go from understudy to lead. I don’t know WHY this is. There have of course been some still - Rebecca Luker, for example.
In foreign productions this is a lot more common.
Some understudies (especially swings) are also seen as too valuable in their current position, because they can cover several roles and very well. This can be very hard to replace.
I’m in the “damnit promote Elizabeth Welch already!” fanclub, though!